HomeSingapore visa servicesDependant pass

Learn more about Dependant Pass in Singapore

If you intend to relocate to Singapore with a family member who has relocated for work, you will require a Dependant Pass (DP). Here’s how you can get one.
A Singapore Dependant Pass (DP) is a type of relocation visa that is granted to certain family members of Employment Pass, S Pass, EntrePass, or Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) holders. Dependant’s Passes are valid for as long as the main Singapore work visa holder is actively working in Singapore. DP pass holders are able to live, enter, and depart Singapore without the need to apply for separate Singapore entry visas.

Table of contents

Who is eligible for a dependant pass?

Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 (including biological and legally adopted) of Employment Pass, S Pass, EntrePass, or PEP holders who earn at least S$6,000 per month can apply for a Dependant’s Pass.
If a Singapore work visa holder’s child is born in Singapore, the hospital will provide you with a Notification of Live Birth and Advisory Note from the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA). These documents are required to apply for a birth certificate. It also serves as a Special Pass, allowing the newborn to remain in Singapore for six weeks. During this time, you should apply to your embassy or high commission for a passport for your infant.
A Dependant Pass is not available to the common law spouse of a Singapore work visa holder. They are, however, usually eligible for a Long-Term Social Visit Pass if certain conditions are met (LTSVP).

What documents do I need to apply for a dependant pass?

➤ A completed Dependant's Pass application form
➤ A copy of your / your child's passport's personal particulars page
➤ A copy of the official marriage, birth, or adoption certificates as proof of relationship
➤ Educational details, if applicable
➤ School enrolment information in a Singapore educational institute, if applicable
➤ Salary information for the most recent job had, if applicable

Please keep in mind that application forms for children under the age of 16 must be signed on behalf of the child by the parent. Relevant credentials in languages other than English must be translated by a professional translator and submitted alongside the original certificate copy.

How long does the dependant pass application process take?

Dependant’s Pass applications can be submitted either online (for Employment Pass and S Pass holders) or manually (for EntrePass, Personalised Employment Pass, and Employment Pass (sponsorship) holders). DP applications must be submitted by the Singapore work visa holder’s employer and filed separately for each qualified family member.
DP applications are typically handled in 3 to 5 weeks. If the DP application was submitted concurrently with the Singapore work visa application, the outcome will very certainly be known at the same time.

How do I know if my dependant pass has been approved?

When your Dependant’s Pass application is granted, Singapore’s Ministry of Manpower (MOM) will issue an In-Principle-Approval (IPA) letter. To collect the pass, the DP applicant must be in Singapore.

When you go to pick up your Dependant Pass, you must bring the following documents:

➤ The IPA letter you got
➤ Your/your child's passport

Any further documentation requested in the IPA letter, such as medical test results, embarkation/disembarkation cards, and so on.

How do I renew my dependant pass?

When a Singapore work visa holder’s work pass expires, MOM will send Dependant Pass renewal documents to his or her employer, where they can be renewed concurrently.

Can I study or work in Singapore?

You can work in Singapore if your Singapore work visa holder has an Employment Pass, PEP, or EntrePass. To do so, your prospective employer must complete the LOC application form and apply to MOM for a Letter of Consent (LOC). LOCs are typically processed in a week.
Your LOC and Dependant Pass will both expire at the same time. As a result, everytime your DP is renewed and issued, you should refresh the LOC.
A child with a Dependant’s Pass is free to attend local or overseas K-12 schools in Singapore. However, DP holders who wish to pursue further education in Singapore must apply for a student visa.

Can I apply for permanent residence?

Yes, dependant pass holders can apply for permanent residency (PR) in Singapore alongside Singapore work visa holders. If the Singapore work visa holder’s PR application is approved, the DP holder’s PR application will be approved as well.

Share information

Ready to get started ?

Our dedicated immigration team can process your visa application quickly and reliably.

Request a quote